The latest details of the breakdown of talks between Sevilla and Chelsea over Jules Kounde have been revealed.
The 23-year-old looked set to move to Stamford Bridge this summer after months of transfer rumours.
However, it now looks like the France international will join FC Barcelona rather than Thomas Tuchel’s side.
Kounde is staying with Sevilla for their pre-season tour of Portugal but it looks like he is closing in on a move to Barcelona.
“There is no update, no update,” the head coach said of Koundé after their 4-0 loss to Arsenal.
Recent reports have now revealed why a deal with Chelsea hasn’t been reached over Kounde’s transfer saga.
According to Jose Manuel Garcia, Chelsea offered a first 55 million euros for Koundé who was rejected by Sevilla.
The Spaniards informed Chelsea they wanted an additional €10m in order to complete a deal and the Blues accepted it, reaching a verbal agreement with the La Liga outfit.
However, after agreeing to send a written counter-offer, it never arrived in Sevilla.
This was later confirmed by Matteo Moretto, who said the deal stalled on Friday as the final documents were exchanged.
It’s still unclear why Chelsea haven’t sent the paperwork to Sevilla in order to complete a deal, but with Barcelona appearing to be Kounde’s preference, the Blues may have learned from their past mistakes.
Earlier in the transfer window, Chelsea saw an accepted £55m bid for Raphinha from Leeds United.
However, the Brazilian waited two weeks before accepting an offer from Barcelona, leaving Chelsea in the dark.
Anxious to avoid a repeat of lost time, the Blues may have decided to end their pursuit of Koundé early and focus on other targets.
Besides, reports in England said that Tuchel still had concerns about Kounde regarding his size and his ability to handle the physicality of the English leagues.
It remains to be seen who Chelsea will pursue in place of the France international as Tuchel looks to add to his squad ahead of the start of the Premier League season next month.